Nearly everyone has heard of probiotics! There are so many strains, forms and brands of probiotics on the market these days, which makes it hard to know the right one for you and your gut. You may think " I don't need to take probiotics, I have a great diet and lifestyle". In some cases this may be true, but unfortunately even when we consume to most nutritious wholesome variety of food we can still be lacking in many good gut microbes as the soil our food is grown in is these days depleted of many wonderful microorganisms that give life to our food.
Probiotics can actually assist in many ways with a persons health such as:
- Help balance good bacteria in your digestive system
- May reduce the severity of excess and asthma
- Some strains such as bifidobacterium and lactobaculis can support mental health conditions such as anxiety and depression
- Can help reduce symptoms of some bowel disorders such as ulcerative colitis and irritable bowel disease
- Help build a robust immune system
As you may hear some people only take probiotics after a round of antibiotics. While it is certainly a good idea to take a probiotic after a round of antibiotics there is no reason why probiotics shouldn't be taken all year round. We want o build a robust gut microbiome to protect us from becoming ill and needing to take antibiotics.
Now you are aware of some of the reasons probiotics are so powerful, your question might be but what type should I buy ?
When faced with an overwhelming choice at the chemist it can be confusing !
Here at Bayside colonics we always recommend probioform as it is a live form of raw and natural microbes that is easily digestible in liquid form. However if your looking for a tablet or capsule form you must look at the label and see is it?
- at least 1 billion colony forming from lactobacillus, bifidobacterium and saccharomysses boularddi.
- There is no artificial additives or preservatives added to the product
- Stick to well established brands and remember the saying" you get what you pay for"
After all the talk about probiotic supplements don't forget we can find probiotics and prebiotics in food form too! here is a list of nutritious foods:
- Chicory root
- Garlic and onions
Enjoy building a beautiful Gut Microbiome